RobotStudio event

detect collision in virtual evironment

Options

Hello,

We are developing a standalone application using PC SDK in VS2008 and want to detect collision when manipulating a virtual robot. Is it possible for robotstudio fire collision event to our application whenever it happens?

We put geometry and virtual robot in the same virtual environment.

One more question is where I can download RobotStudio API document.

Thanks a lot

newform2010-03-05 20:29:51

Comments

• Niklas Skoglund
    Options
    Hello,

using your stand alone application you can use PC SDK to connect to a robot that is part of a RobotStudio Station.

When you run a simulation in RobotStudio, you can get an event using the RobotStudio API when a collision occurs.

But I'm not sure what is the best way to get this event from the RobotStudio Add-In to your application. Maybe Windows Communication Runtime can be something to look into. However I have no experiecne with WCF myself.

Have you thought of integrating your application as an Add-In in RobotStudion instead?

Depending on the purpose of your application it may or not make sense ;)

The RobotStudio API Documentation is installed with RobotStudio. You can find it from F1 Help in Visual Studio Tools For Applications (VSTA) which you can launch from the Add-Ins Tab, or you can browse directly to ""C:Program FilesABB Industrial ITRobotics ITRobotStudio 5.12HelpenAPIDocumentation.chm"

In RobotStudio 5.13 it will be available from the Start Menu and from the Help menu in RobotStudio as well.

Best Regards, Niklas Skoglund
    ABB Robotics

Developer Center
    RobotStudio Blog
  • newform
    Options
    Hello,

Thank you for the information provided.

We don't want  to develop a robotstudio addin as our application will handle real robot too. That is why we use PC SDK. But there is no any API we can use to detect collision using PC SDK.

• Ilian Bonev
    Options
    Hi,

I don't know whether this is of some help, but one of my students recently programmed a parallel task that checks colisions in advance by extrapolating during motion. He modelled the robot and the environment by simple boxes. He did this for a Fanuc robot, but during the summer, I have another student who will work on the same project but with ABB. My intent, though, is to simply use multitasking and do the coding in RAPID.

Ilian
  • Niklas Skoglund
    Options
    Hi,

this is a good approach, but for a production environment it's probably a very big task to develop something that works and is usable and safe...

In PC SDK there is nothing that directly supports collision checking.

Are you doing this for a customer, or is it more research oriented?

Best Regards, Niklas Skoglund
    ABB Robotics

Developer Center
    RobotStudio Blog
  • Ilian Bonev
    Options
    Hi,

It is research oriented. No customer in mind.

Ilian