RobotStudio event

Cannot select sphere by clicking in graphics area

Options
RS 5.12.03.
Selection radius set to 5 pixels. Selection mode set to 'Body' or 'Surface'.
I cannot select a sphere by clicking on it in the graphics area unless its diameter is 8mm or greater. It selects OK in the browser.
Is this a known limitation?
I can select a cubic box with side length of only 0.1mm.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• Henrik Berlin
    Options

When trying with RS 5.13.01 the limit is 0.3 / 0.4 mm, i.e. I can select a sphere of radius 0.4 mm but not 0.3 mm. What result do you get with RS 5.13.01?

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Kevin
    Kevin ✭✭
    Options

Hi Henrik,

That is much better! With 5.13.01 I can select a sphere of diameter 0.4mm, but not 0.3mm (geometry detail level set to medium).

I have another problem with spheres causing RS to crash in 5.13 and 5.13.01 when I have geometry detail level set to 'Fine' (0.1,0.1,0.1).

I create an empty station then create a sphere of diameter, say 20mm. The 'Create' button stays depressed for about 60 seconds! Then I right-click on the new part in the browser and select 'Examine', which zooms in to the sphere. I click in the graphics area, then move the cursor for a few seconds. RS then crashes with an Access Violation Exception.

Here is the fault report:

webwiz/40/RobotStudioReport_2010-0701_153019.zip

Regards,

Kevin

• Henrik Berlin
    Options
    Probably it is due to RS running out of memory or something like that. When I tried to reproduce the problem, memory usage went up to 1GB when creating the sphere and then down to 0,5 GB when the tesselation was completed. I suppose you need to be a bit careful when modifying the mesh parameters. They offer great power (and responsibility) to the user. Try modifying them little by little starting with the default values if you find the default parameters too coarse still. In any case, you would probably like to use your memory for other things also than just a single sphere.

For your information, we are looking at handing over the mesh parameter selection to ACIS (the underlying CAD engine that also does the tesselation) that has some intelligence to handle this in version R21 (the latest version released after RS 5.13). The user can select among four mesh alternatives, and ACIS will handle the rest. This will probably appear in RS 5.14.
    Henrik Berlin
    ABB