RobotStudio event

Smart Component: Problem with Line Sensor

Options
Hi,
i have a problem with the Line Sensor: When the sensor is completely inside a part, so that it doesn't intersect any of the surfaces of a body, the sensor doesn't recognize the part.
Is this the desired behavior?
I think it would be better, if the sensor recognizes these parts too.
Another improvement to the line sensor would be, if you could define parts to ignore, that should not be sensed.

Regards, Matthias

Comments

• Anders S
    Options
    Hi Matthias,

The problem you describe with the line sensor (it's the same for plane sensors) is a known limitation. The reason for the problem is that the "SensorOut" signal goes high when the sensor intersect with a surface, but  as you describe is a part normally hollow so if the sensor miss the outer surface "SensorOut" will not go high.

And when the simulation timestep in RS not can be set lower than 10 ms (20 ms is default), the sensor will probably miss the outer surface. The workaround is to define the sensor so you are sure that it intersect with a surface of the body.

I agree with you that it would be good to be able to define parts to be ignored by sensors, and we are looking at this for future releases.
    Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics