RobotStudio event

Robot Studio Offline - Internal Ethernet IP

Options

Has Anyone Used Robot Studio Offline - and tried to configure (and use)  Ethernet IP with a virtual controller.... running a virtual system

(first is it possible - and if anyone knows then filling in the gaps would be great)

What i have done - give myself all the options for my system

- I have Created a System with a Ethernet/IP Bus

- Connector ID as LAN Port

- Made the Ethernet IP Address the same as the PC ( the PC running Robot Studio ) 

- Created a UNIT - of EN_INTERNAL_SLAVE

- Given it some Group Inputs and Outputs

Sooo - when i try to connect my AB PLC to it , i seem to get a few errors.

Someone stop me now if this is not possible LOL

But if it is possible, how i config this would be great

Comments

• Henrik Berlin
    Options
    If your goal is to connect a PLC to RobotStudio you may want to try the OPC Smart Component that can connect RobotStudio to the OPC Server of your PLC. Then you can use it as any Smart Component and connect its I/Os to the robots and surrounding equipment in the RobotStudio station. The OPC Smart Component is not yet released, but we may provide an early version of it for you to try if you are interested. The OPC Smart Component works with RobotStudio 5.13.01. A pre-requisite is that you can setup an OPC Server for your PLC.

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Henrik,

thanks for the quick response.... what i was trying to do was mimic what a real controller would do if connected to a AB PLC on Ethernet/IP doing CIP messaging. This way the I/O on robot studio could be controlled via the PLC, and the system simulated all thru RS. The end result would be a system ready to connect to a real controler.... we don't really need to control any other components in the RS cell.... just passing data back and forth from plc and robot.

The other option seems very intresting, I might have some good uses for that. I think i can set up RSLinx to be the OPC server in that case.... In reality we probably wouldn't do a real system using opc tags unless there was some form of scada on it.