RobotStudio event

MIG WELDING - Butt Joint Welding Penetration Issue [ArcWelding PowerPac]

Options
Dear All,
           What are the remedies/welding paramaters to get the desired weld penetration.
Mig Welding System Product Details:-

1. ABB IRB1600ID ROBOT WITH IRC-5
CONTROLLER.

2. ESAB WELDING POWER SOURCE Mig 5000I, ESAB Wire
Feeder 3004

3. Binzel ABIROB-A500 Welding Gun

4. CO2 GAS 100%

5. Welding Wire CuCr 1.2mm

6.Material Specification:- MS with redoxide coating
, 5mm thick.
Weld Component Photo->
UTS Test Report->

1> Should we increase the welding Voltage or wire feed speed or decrease the weld speed to increase the penetration??

Vishal,
==============================
vishalpatil3.82@gmail.com OR
vishal.patil@electronicagroup.com
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• cabraja
    Options
    If the weld looks ok with enough wirefeed then you should only increase voltage a bit to be able to melt the material properly. But since you have a bit of a gap you can not increase voltage too much because then it will just melt thru and leave a hole .
    If you can send a picture with a weld too that way i can easier point you in the right direction.
  • spiney
    Options

Need to see the weld to help you adjust your settings, Post a photo of a welded piece

• Hi friends....
         Sorry for replying so late.
    Here is the welded photo of the corner. It is not too clear.

vishalpatil822012-04-25 10:20:34
    Vishal,
  • cabraja
    Options
    Looks like too much wirefeed if i see the picture correctly. More clear picture would be better
    so that i can see the edge of the weld if it is properly melted.

As it looks now you can decrease wirefeed start with 10% and also slow down speed a little bit so that it doesnt leave binding errors.

Penetration might be better with less wirefeed if you also desrease the speed wich allows

the peace to heat up a bit just ahead of the wire.
  • spiney
    Options

I agree with cabraja, need a clearer photo of the weld. It's to hard to say what to do with that picture. I don't want to give you a wrong diagnosis on what to do.
  • Will try to get a clear weld photo for proper diagnosis.
    Thanks to all for quick reply.

Vishal,
  • Parocce
    Options
    Hi guys, coming to this forum was a really good idea for me, i was referred here by a friend, who is a mechanical engineer like myself, and it's quite exciting just seeing and hearing like minded engineers talk about their problems and getting suggestions to fix it, i can see now that i am really in the right place and i will contribute my quota to the best of my ability to see that this forum is a success.

• Hi Friends....
      Pls. look into the pictures provided.

Is there any solution for getting the uniform weld beed size throughout the length of the weld stitch???
      My weld stitch length is 25mm, but I am getting uniform beed size only for 10-15mm portion.
    Mig Welding System Product Details:-

1. ABB IRB1600ID ROBOT WITH IRC-5
    CONTROLLER.

2. ESAB WELDING POWER SOURCE Mig 5000I, ESAB Wire
    Feeder 3004

3. Binzel ABIROB-A500 Welding Gun

4. CO2 GAS 100%

5. Welding Wire CuCr 1.2mm

6.Material Specification:- MS with redoxide coating
    , 5mm thick.
       Does it depends on the "Craterfill time" settings???

vishalpatil822012-10-08 07:40:50
    Vishal,
  • Yes it does, but it looks like your welding to hot. What are the welder settings? amps, speed, wire speed,  ect.

• O'Really?
    Options

Vishal,

Spiney is right, your weld looks far too hot. Your travel speed may be an issue too. If you aren't staying at the front of your weld puddle you won't get proper depth of fusion on your welds. Are you trying to weld in short arc mode or in spray transfer?

I also see at the top of the post that the joint is a 90 degree angle. Depending on how you are pulling on the material while you are testing, the weld may or may not have the proper strength. The start and end points are the weakest part of a weld, so if your start or end point can be moved away from some of the stress of testing you may have better success.

We had a similar issue with welds failing on a pipe mouth welded to a plate. The pipe was welded halfway around, but the stress applied was in the wrong direction, so almost no matter what we did, the welds failed. We ended up moving the location of the weld and have had significant improvement in quality issues since.  

Good luck and happy welding!

-matt
  • You need to check your setting details first. See the temperature range (voltage feed) and the air pressure.

--------------------
  • Weld Speed=11mm/sec
    Weld Voltage=26.5V
    Wire Feed SPEED=10.8 meter/min
    100% CO2= 15-20LPM
    Vishal,
  • O'Really?
    Options
    Vishal,

Looks to me that you are welding fairly hot for the mild steel you are joining. Even in spray transfer it is only recommended to run about 24-25V for 5mm mild steel. Also, with the thicker wire you are using, you should be able to run much slower on the wire feed (It looks like your wire feed is set for .9mm wire, not the 1.2 you are using). Try something like 5.0-5.5 meter/min. This should bring your amperage reading to something around 200 amps. From here you can adjust your travel speed accordingly.

If you run into trouble try using an online welding calculator. They are generally good starting points if you are having trouble with your application.

Good Luck!

-matt