GUIDE: How to create a tool?

Options
ProgMan
ProgMan
edited August 2016 in RobotStudio
How to create a tool?

To prepare
========
First you need a geometry, a CAD file (*.SAT) or a library (*.rslib).

When you have one, using operating system's copy command or the RobotStudio's export command, make a copy which you'll use to make the tool because after crealing a tool the geometry used for will no longer be editable and can not be used for creating tools again. So, don't use your original geometry for creating the tool if you have future need to use the geometry again.

Then, you need a station to work in. You can use any station, but an empty one is better, so nothing else than all you need for your tool get in your way. Furthermore, you can keep this station to make changes to your tool without recreating everything. So, save this station under name like MyOwn_Tool replacing A? MyOwn A? with a significant name for the tool; the same name you want to have for the final tool.

1) On Ihe Home tab, click the Import Geometry button and load the geometry you want to use for the tool.
2) Place the geometry where you it, respect to the origin of the world coordinate system of the station, which will be use for the tool's origine; this origine will be attach to robot's tool0.

To create a reference frame
===================
1) Zoom and rotate the station so that you get a clear view ofthe tip of the tool.
2) On the Home tab, click the A? Frame A? button, then select  A? Frame A? command.
3) In the Graphics window, select Surface SAclection level and Snap Center.
4) In the dialog, click in the Frame Position field and then in the Graphics window click on
the tip surface; the snap goes to the center ofthe surface as the selection level and snap mode.
5) Click the A? Create A? button. A frame named A? Frame1 A? is created.

As we did not define an orientation yet, it mimics the world coordinate System, now we will
use the graphics to get the correct angle of the tool.

6) In the Layout browser (from the left panel), right click A? Frame1 A? and select A? Set Normal to Surface A?.
7) In the A? Set Normal to Surface A? dialog, click the top field and then in the Graphics window, click the tip surface.
8) Click the A? Apply A? button.
9) Save the station.

To create a new tool
==============
1) On the A? Modeling tab A?, click the A? Create Tool A? button. This starts Ihe A? Create Pool A? wizard.
2) In the A? Create Tool A? wizard, in the A? Tool Name A?  field enter A? MyOwn A? where MyOwn is the name you for the tool.
3) Then in the A? Select Part A?, click the A? Use Existing A? radio button and in the combobox select the A? MyOwn A? part.
4) In the Graphics window, select A? Part Selection A? level and A? Snap Gravity A?.
5) In the A? Create Tool A? dialog, click in the A? Center of Gravity A? field and then in the Graphics window click the tool graphics.

Note that A? snap gravity A? assumes that the object is of the same density when calculating
the center of gravity. You can put in mass and inertia but there is no RobotStudio functionalily for this so you 'd have to gef the data extemally.

6) Click the Next button.
7) In the TCP Name field, enter the tool's name you want to use; this is the name of the tooldata that wArll be used in RAPID.
8) In the A? Values f'rom Target/Frame A? field, click the field and then on A? Frame1 A? (in the A? Layout A? tab in the left panel).
9) Click the large arrovv [->] butlon to add this new TCP to the tool.
10) Click the A? Done A? button to go to the nex dialog.
11) Inl the A? Layout A? browser in left panel), right click the A? Frame_1 A? trame and select A? Delete A? command and click Yes to get rid of no more useful A? Frame_1 A?.

To save the tool as a library component
============================
Saving the lool as a library component makes it available for use in other stations as well. It also means that if you update the library then all stations using the library will be updated the next lime you open them.
1) In the A? Layout A? browser (in the left panel), right click the tool just created and select A? Save as Library A?.
2) In the A? Save As A? dialog, enter the folder and the name of the tool as the filename.
Note the small padlock that shows that the tool now is a library file.

Now you got your tool in a library ready to attach it to a robot!

Post edited by OskarHenriksson on

Comments

• ProgMan
    Options

How to use multiple geometries to make a tool?

The create tool wizard allow to choose only one geometry to make the tool. And you don't want to make an union of all geometries in one, so everything get the same color.

If your tool is made from multiple geometries, you'll have to make a new geometry or use one of the original to put all other inside.

Before creating your tool, do so:
    1) In the A? Modelling A? tab, load all geometries in the sation.
    2) Set position of all geometries to other one, so you have the geometry tool like you want it.
    3) In the A? Modelling A? tab from the left panel, open all the geometries to see all bodies inside them.
    4) Choose one of your geometry or create a new one to put all bodies from all geometries inside.
    5 ) Drag and drop all bodies (from all geometries) to the choosen geometry. You can drag them one by one and answering for each one to a RobotStudio question or drag all in the same time and answering a RobotStudio question only once.

When Robotstudio ask you A? Do you want to reposition these objects A? (or something like that, I'm using a RobotStudio french version, so I don't know exactly how RobotStudio ask it in english), click A? No A?, so everything stay in place just like you want it.

Now, you have only one geometry, just like you want it. You can get rid of all other now empty geometries and export the new geometry to use as you like.

ProgMan2012-04-24 01:12:06
  • williamd
    Options
    What type of track are you looking at exactly???

• I've recently started doing CAD designs, so thanks for this post. Can't wait until I've made my first basic robot from CAD designs. It has a sensor and can move 360 around a room.

tomriddle2012-06-11 16:35:53
  • I created a tool`s model by 3Ds MAX.How can I use it as a tool in RobotStudio?
  • Anders S
    Options

Hi,
    RobotStudio can import collada 1.4.1 files (.dae), which I'm quite sure that 3Ds MAX can export to.
    Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • Thanks a lot for sharing these posts! These instructions really helped me to get familiar with the basic, yet useful actions. :)

- Mastaneh

• jipin.jose
    Options
    Hi,

how to make a tool in which 2 Penumatic grippers are mounted. Pls suggest me some method. These 2 penumatic Grippers has to work independently.

Regards,

Jipin Jose
  • Henrik Berlin
    Options
    You can use Smart Components to do it. The base is to use a Line sensor in combination with an Attacher and a Detacher for each pneumatic gripper. 

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • SteveMob
    SteveMob
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I was following the steps given above and using RobotStudio's "help" window to build my TCP to my tool. When I did created the TCP and hit "done", it didn't put the TCP on the Frame_1 like it was supposed to, it was offset by a few inches. And I also got this error with it: "BodyService::GetMassProperties() : api_body_mass_props() failed!
    : Geometry (ACIS) error 102008: 'body has 1-sided sheets; volume not calculated'".
    This error occurs when I try to do the center of gravity using the snap gravity, etc..

Anyone know what that is?

Thanks,
    SM