RobotStudio event

Serial Communication with Robotstudio 5

Options
Hello,

I recently posted a question about Virtual Serial Ports, but was unable to solve my issue.

In an attempt to work around my problem, and operating under the assumption that it was the virtual serial port software that was at fault, I had a second serial port installed on my computer.

Now with two serial ports I'm attempting to send and receive data between a custom piece of software and Robotstudio 5.  However, I am running into a few issues.

First, if I attempt to open a binary channel, Robotstudio 5 simply freezes and must be forced to shutdown.

Secondly, if I attempt to open one channel to write and another channel to read (using the same port) whichever command comes second is locked out because "this file is already open."

I need to be able to both read and write through one port, which does not seem to be an issue when I run the software on the actual robot controller.  How can I achieve this level of functionality in Robotstudio?

Comments

• So I've paired down my program to the bare essentials to try and pinpoint the problem.  Even thought it's not preferred method, I've attempted to open a single channel at a time, either to read or write, and then closing it as soon as I've finished.  That didn't work, so I attempted to just read a single number, and Robotstudio hangs on the read command.  Here is a code example:

VAR iodev channelR;
    VAR num number;

OPEN "COM6:", channelR Read;

number := ReadNum(channelR);

CLOSE channelR;

I've stepped through the program to pinpoint the problem, and it is definitely hanging at "ReadNum".

I'd really appreciate some input as to how to solve this problem, as the serial communication capabilities advertised for Robotstudio 5 was a large factor in my company upgrading from Robotstudio 4.

Stephen18162012-11-08 00:20:17
  • Henrik Berlin
    Options

Unfortunately, the virtual controller does not support serial communication to my knowledge.
    Perhaps you can use an alternative communication method?

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • JoyKM
    Options
    Will ReadNum work in he realController ? 
  • JoyKM
    Options
    I figured out a way around this:
    I will be uploading it https://github.com/JoyKrishnaMondal/PythonABBDriver on monday. so that other ppl can test it out.