RobotStudio event

IRC5 DeviceNet

Options

I'm starting up a line with 6 Robot (IRC5 cabinet) and ControlLogix AB PLC with DeviceNet network.

I was able to configure the communication but sometimes i lost the communication with these robots.

I have found the Robot EDS file on the CD-ROM but it did not work, then i uploaded the EDS file from the Robot.

Do you have an update EDS files?

Have you never had this problem?

Best Regards
Concezio Crugnale

Comments

• RussD
    Options

What RobotWare version are you using?

Describe losing communications;does it happen after spontaneously while the devices are running, or is it after a restart?

What errors are showing up in the controller error logs?

Russell Drown
  • Crugnale
    Options

Robotware version is 5.07.0153

Lost communication: It happens while runnung. After that the robot must be reboot and then also the DeviceNet scanner need to be restarted.

The other strange things is that if we shut down the robot cabinet when we restart, we do not get the communication. This never happened with S4 controller.

The error on the teach pendant is:

Minor number of error detected in DeviceNet, it says that the normal operation is still working, all the Input/Output are setted to Zero, but the robot is not able to communicate.

Thanks

Best Regards
    Concezio Crugnale
  • RussD
    Options
    If it communicates for awhile then stops, it sounds like possible network problems. Are you terminating the network properly at both ends?
    Russell Drown
  • Crugnale
    Options

Yes, the network is done as per Allen Bradley requirement, with the correct termination at both ends.

The total cable lenght is almost 100 meters, we used the AB cable (thick-grey).

Thanks

Best Regards
    Concezio Crugnale
  • RussD
    Options

What speed are you trying to connect with? I think 100m is about the physical limit for 500k, you might try slowing it down to 250 or 125 to see if the performance improves.

Russell Drown
  • Crugnale
    Options

It was since the beginning at 125

Thanks

Best Regards
    Concezio Crugnale
  • RussD
    Options

Please describe the configuration of this network, i.e. is the PLC master and robot is the slave?

Are you using single or dual DeviceNet options? What is the model # of your DeviceNet card?

Have you tried using DN_GENERIC as the unit type for the PLC on the robot?

Russell Drown
  • Crugnale
    Options

Yes the PLC is the master and the robots are the slave, in the Network there are also SEW Eurodrive Motor with DeviceNet interface and Field module (Beckhoff).

I'm using dual DeveceNet, the PLC card is 1756-DNB

I did not try to use DN_GENERIC

Thanks

Best Regards
    Concezio Crugnale
  • RussD
    Options

I was referring to the model of the robot DeviceNet board. Do you have one PCI board in the robot PC with two DeviceNet connectors or two PCI boards in the robot PC with one DeviceNet connector each?

Russell Drown
  • Crugnale
    Options

We have some news

We tried to run a new network only for the 6 robot. The lenght is almost 100 meters and the speed 125Kbyte.

The situation is improved now we can shut the robot down and after that it restart properly.

The strange things right now is that during the normal operation on the teach pendant we see the message

Event Message 71300, DeviceNet Bus communication Warning.

A minor number of Communication Error Occured on DNET Bus DeviceNet2

This is only a warning, the line is able to keep running but i think that should be better to understand where is the problem

Thanks

Best Regards
    Concezio Crugnale
  • lemmees
    Options

Hello,

I am having the same kind of problem.

We have 4 pcs IRC5 robots as DNet slaves and our DNet master is Rockwell 1756-DNB. The Line lenght is 45m and the speed is 500Kbyte. I have also used other communication speeds with same problem. The cabeling of DNet is made according to the DNet rules.

Also for us the commuication is running, but every now and then comes the message: Event Message 71300, DeviceNet Bus communication Warning.

The message at tech pendat is irritating and I hope that somebody has found a sollution for this. 

Wbr,

Esa

• Hello, at least someone else that is angry like me regarding this new IRC5.

Howewer last change that i did was to have 2 separate network, with 3 robot each. My speed is 125Kbyte, the lenght now is almsost 45 meter with the right termination.

I changed as well the Interscan delay to 20msec in the Scanner Module.

With this solution i'm able to run, but i still have the Message 71300 on the teach pendant.

Ciao

Best Regards
    Concezio Crugnale
  • Jetman
    Options

Hi guys,

Even with the latest Robotware there is a known problem about Devicenet.

For instance when you have a Master/Slave communication with 2 IRC5 and no other nodes on the network you will not be able to connect unless you boot the robots exactly at the same time.

Since most of the time you have a Combi IO on the network it will work but I have 2 robots with 2 devicenet cards and I am using my 2nd cards on each robot to only exchange data between the 2 robots.

Since there is nothing more than the 2 scanner cards on the network, I need to boot the robots at the same time or there will be no communication. If I add any kind of devicenet Node to the network then it will work. Maybe if that happens between 2 IRC5, it will be the same with an IRC5 and a PLC. I would try adding a dummy node...

ABB Canada knows about that, they have been able to recreate the bug but they have not solved it yet.

Jet,
    Janin Delorme, Ing. (P.Eng)