RobotStudio event

Reading and creating a target from file

Options
Hello All,

I see that with RAPID I am able to read data from a file. I have an external program that will process some data and return a target in terms of (X, Y, Z) coordinates. From the RAPID reference manual, it is possible to read data from a file, but unfortunately I cannot find how to create a target directly in code, by specifying the coordinates. At the moment all my targets are manually created using the "Create Target" menu item.

I will greatly appreciate any help, or direction to a site/ressource where I can find more info on how to do this.
Thank you
Yanik N.
Tagged:

Comments

• Henrik Berlin
    Options

Interesting question. On which device you want to create the module file with the targets? On the controller, or on a PC? And when do you want it to be created? During production time, or during programming / planning / preparation time?

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Hello Henrik, 

Thank you for your reply. The module/external program that will be processing my data will run on a pc. The operation will happen in three folds, first I will create inside Robotstudio a simple path, the robot will scan a specific mechanical part and save some data to the disc. In a separate operation, I will use the data generated to perform some operation (matlab n C++), the result of my algorithm is a expected coordinates (X, Y, Z) which will be saved in a text file. In the last part, I want the robot to then read this coordinates from a file on the PC, and move to the specified coordinates. 

I saw a section in the Rapid manual where you can directly specify these coordinates, so I am looking at it at the moment. But if you have any other suggestions please do let me know, I am very open to all help.

Thank You.
    Yanik N.
  • Henrik Berlin
    Henrik Berlin ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options

I recommend you to try the coordinate file import add-in for RobotStudio available at RobotApps, see https://robotapps.robotstudio.com/Details.aspx?fileId=432

Then you need to import the coordinate file in RobotStudio and generate the robot program by synchronizing your imported robtargets to RAPID. When you have verified the program in RobotStudio using the VC you can transfer the module to the real robot.

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Hello, i have the same question but not for targets, i am trying to read data from a file into rapid ( on the PC) and i want them to be created  so i can read them by another instruction

any help is really appreciated