RobotStudio event

Suggestion: Auto Indentation

Options

Hi guys,

That's not a big issue, not at all, but I have a suggestion regarding the Auto identation feature of RobotStudio 5.15.  You know the thing that automatically moves all the code Under a IF, a FOR or a PROC 4 spaces to the right.

I really like this feature, it does the job my students sometimes forget when creating programs, even though we implanted MindControl chip in their brain. ;-)

It's important indeed to have a program with indentation at the right places but it should not be done with 4 spaces as it is now, it should be done with a single TAB.

When you have 4 spaces and you are programming, it's very easy to erase 1 and be indented 3 spaces instead of 4 which makes your programme looks... well...less than perfect. :)

Futurmore, a Tabs will be the same lenght when you print no matter the police size you are using.

Same rules apply when creating texts with Microsoft WORD.

Ok I'm aware it's only esthetics, but we teach that to our students because we all want perfect ABB programs in the futur ;-)

Thanks,

Jetman

Jet,
Janin Delorme, Ing. (P.Eng)

Comments

• Anders S
    Options

Hi Jetman,

Have you tried to uncheck "Convert tabs to spaces" in Options (under Robotics)?

//Anders

Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • Jetman
    Jetman ✭✭
    Options
    Hello Anders,

Thanks! :)

I am really surprise that there is such an option. I mean happily surprise :)

Was this option added just for personnal taste or there are instances where spaces are really needed instead of tabs?

Thanks again,

Jet
    Jet,
    Janin Delorme, Ing. (P.Eng)
  • Henrik Berlin
    Options

Hi Jetman,

This option is added just for personal taste. I am not aware of any situation where it actually matters if you use tabs or spaces in your code. The FlexPendant generates code formatted with tabs and RobotStudio uses spaces by default. But as Anders pointed out, this is configurable.

Henrik Berlin
    ABB