RobotStudio event

Future of 3D developments for Robot simulations

Options
Hello everybody out there,

after discussing some new ideas with my colleagues I was wondering what your ideas are regarding robot simulations and the oculus rift!

Do you think that this will be a part of the robot simulation future or will it remain a gimmick?

kind regards,

Leo

Comments

• Niklas Skoglund
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hello Leo and all of you,

I'm pretty excited about the oculus glasses ;)

Hopefully it will fly this time.

It may be oculus or it may be someone else who makes the breakthrough, but I'm pretty sure it will become mainstream and that it will become useful both for robot simulation as well as for augmented reality supported commisioning.

What would you like to do?

Best Regards, Niklas Skoglund
    ABB Robotics

Developer Center
    RobotStudio Blog
  • I'm not quite sure about the application just yet. 

Maybe we can use it to walk inside the 3D world and use to it adjust things to avoid collisions, re position objects, or change the robot configurations. 

But on the other hand I could see it being very tiresome to swing your arms around the entire day, because that was one of my biggest problems I had with the nintendo WII. It's so much easier to sit at your desk then it is to stand. 

So all in all I'm sure if this will be a "show and tell" kind of thing where we will use it only for marketing/sales or that we will use to for engineering purposes as well.