RobotStudio event

Robot Load Data & Tooling Force

Options
I have something that I'm going to test out but wanted to pose this here.

Anytime I have used an ABB robot with cutting with a spindle, we always put correct load mass settings in the tool based on the spindle information itself, and it seemed to operate well.  I now have a robot that is holding a part and bringing it to a tool, and the load data has been overstated by 4x (ie:  40kg instead of 10kg) to account for the force of the tool against the part being held by the robot. Is this correct? I didn't think the load force would account for varying force of the tooling, and I'm suspecting this might be the source of some jerk in the motion.

Comments

• D_toto13
    Options
    Tyler,

You are definitely correct.
    In this case we're talking about 2 things:
    1.     Load force will never be enough to compensate for the tooling force, which in time it might damage your gearbox for axis 5/6 (closest to the load)
    2.     Always use the proper loaddata (not the load mass – that won’t change the way the robot runs by much)

Feel free to use LOADDATA routine from Flex Pendant manual online and calculate your loaddata and payload as well for a better life expectancy of the robot (smoother and closer to reality moves when it has all proper info)

Link attached is from LOADDATA  (how to run it) – you have to run it on a real robot with the gripper that you’re using (in your case the spindle) and the actual load that you’re using for each job, and then use it accordingly in your RAPID code.

http://developercenter.robotstudio.com/BlobProxy/manuals/IRC5FlexPendantOpManual/doc138.html

...if it's not too late and found yourself an answer already ;)