RobotStudio event

Slow startup of VC

Options

When I am in RobotStudio, the VC is very slow to start - it can take about 5 minutes to warm start.  Cold starting requires a walk around the building to keep from losing my mind waiting for it.  I can't say for sure when this problem started, but I think it was when I installed InterLink a few months ago.  I tried uninstalling InterLink and RS2.1, cleaning up the registry, and re-installing RS, but no change.  I also have installed RS3.0, and still no change.

The really strange thing is the that the VC starts up quickly when I just use the VC outside of RS or ProgramMaker.

Any ideas what I should try?

Mark

Mark

Comments

• John Wiberg
    Options

Hi Mark,

On some systems the Virus Checking utility (like McAffee) checks all files created by a hidden program (like interlink) to see if it replicates.

So when starting the Virtual Controller your virus protection program starts scanning the whole robot program looking for viruses and that might take some time.image

On my computer the difference if I have McAffee system scan on it takes approx 2+ min to start, when I turn off the system scan it takes 20 seconds. Quite a difference... In most virus protection programs there are settings to turn off the check for certain directories, you might want to try that or do like me. I just turn off my virus protection before starting the VC then turn it on again after starting...

• Melk
    Options

I've had this same problem some time ago.. And i my case (as well) disableing the virusscanner was the answer... The thing i did was (not much appreciated by our ICT-department Clown) preventing the virusscanner to load when windows starts.. Just remove the virusscan-utility from your start-up list (start > run > msconfig > startup > uncheck virusscanner). To keep their minds at peace i promised to manually run a virusscan once a week..

GL..

Melk38069,9698958333
    <@Logan&gt; I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident.
    <Beeth> And your point is?
    <@Logan&gt; I was thinking "What the hell is this guy doing?"
  • John Wiberg
    Options

Hellooo Mark, did it improve the start up time???

• Well, I guess I dropped off the face of the earth for awhile there - busy with management duties...

Anyway, I tried disabling the virus scanner, with no improvement.  So, I uninstalled all ABB software from my PC, cleaned up the registry a bit, and re-installed RobotStudio.  Now, the VC won't start at all!

I just learned yesterday that the lease on my PC has run out, so I get to get a new PC. 

Now, the question is do I get the IBM T40, or the T40p?  I don't run RobotStudio much, and usually just a naked robot (for cycle time testing).

Mark
  • John Wiberg
    Options

If you are just running a naked robot without a lot of CAD import then T40 will be quite enough.

Which model do you have now?

Do you need help getting RS going again before you get your new PC?

• I am currently running an A21p with an ATI Mobiltiy 128 AGP video card (16MB).

It would be good if I could get the VC to start up with my current machine, but I don't want to put it on life-support or anything.  The error that I get with trying to start the VC is basically a memory reference error (attached)  When I try to create the error log, it says it is being created, but no log is actually created, so I can't attempt to debug it...

Is this a familiar error?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark