RobotStudio event

Connecting Controller to network

Options
We have several robots that we would like to etablish network

connections for. How to do?

Comments

• claudio
    Options
    If you mean ethernet connection for ftp-ing and file managing, just X-Start each robot, set appropriate IP addresses and connect them all through the 100Mbit ethernet connection to an ethernet switch. Do not use cross-cables.

A possible choice for IP addesses is:

Robot 1: 192.168.1.101
    Robot 2: 192.168.1.102
    Robot 3: 192.168.1.103
    Robot 4: 192.168.1.104

Set Mask to 255.255.255.0

Sometimes I use a Wirelss Access Point. So I can connect my robots without plugging any cable. I like that.

Bye
    Claudio

• RussD
    Options

The robot controller option "PC Interface" is required to use the LAN port on the controller in this way.

There is a limit of 3 simulataneous connections (from 3 separate IP addresses/hosts) per controller.

Russell Drown
  • image Anything to worry about? We have not performed an X-Start before. Is

this a 1-2-3 procedure?

Thanks for the info!
  • claudio
    Options
    The procedure is non-destructive, but a backup is always a good idea.

On the S4C+:
    Select Other Windows->Service->Restart, then before pressing OK, type 159 on the numeric pad. An "X-Start" option will appear where before was "OK".
    Enter Lan-Settings, and input your data (IP address, mask, etc). Put the same address both in IP field and Gateway field.
    Another warm-start will be requested. Perform it.
    In the next session, you will have to select the system to boot (usually there's only one system, just select it and press OK).
    At the end of the boot the procedure is finished and you can try connect through the LAN.
    For what I know, no additional option is needed on S4C+ to connect on the 100Mbit port.

On IRC5:
    Service->Restart->Advanced->X-Start.
    Wait the boot, then enter LAN Settings, etc.
    Ad RussD said, you need the "PC Interface" option.

• RussD
    Options
    And FactoryWare Interface Option or RAP Option for the S4C+, for what its worth.
    Russell Drown
  • I appreciate everyone's help on this, but I must be missing something. I

have X-started the robot with my IP address, run the network cable,

verified a signal exists, but I can't seem to be able to connect to the unit

from my PC. How to set up?

Also, I tried to load a program from 'units' and the IP was not there.

Floppy - yes; HD - yes, but no IP. Did I miss something?
  • claudio
    Options
    1. Check wiring:
    -  If you're using a cross-cable, your PC should gives you a message "Connected 100 Mbit" when you plug the cable.
    - If you're using an HUB/SWITCH look at the LEDs on it and check documentation. Eventually try different cables. DO NOT USE CROSS CABLES (yellow ones or black with red plugs) with an HUB/SWITCH.

2. Test connection using:

Ping <ip-address>

from a command prompt.
    If you get a Time-Out error, something is wrong with IP settings, either on PC or on the Robot.

3. Connect using a ftp program. Eventually, you can even use Internet Explore specifying "ftp://<ip-address&gt;" in the address field. Username: abb, Password: abb. But an ftp program is much better.

4. You can also use RobInstall to test connection.

5. With FTP, you can connect the robot FROM your PC, but not vice-versa. I never used the ethernet communication this way, I think you need RAP protocol (something too difficult for me).
    This means that you usually need to copy programs from the PC to the robot via FTP and then load them from the hd0 via TP.

Most common errors are:
    - Using cross cables with an HUB/SWITCH
    - Using a straight cable without an HUB/SWITCH
    - Specifying the same IP address on both PC and robot
    - Connecting the cable in the wrong port (you need the 100Mbit one, that is INSIDE the controller)
    - Mistyping IP addresses

If you need more help, please specify which kind of controller you are using S4C+ or IRC5.

Good Luck
  • OK, the Ping was successful. But how to set up on my PC? Add a network

place?

S4C+ controller
  • claudio
    Options
    If the ping is succesful, your PC is already set up correctly.
    Install an FTP client like FTP-Commander or WS_FTP to move files.
    Probably you would like to use UltraEdit32 to build your programs. With that, you can upload/download programs directly from the File->Ftp menu. You can build different accounts, one for each robot in your network. Ultraedit is a shareware stuff. Download either from www.ultraedit.com or tucows.com, ecc...

Bye
    Claudio

• I've installed filezlla, but at present it appears that port 21 must be open

to allow the transfer. We are working to have that port opened.

I have been able to attach the cross-over wire to the controller and open

the files. But again, once I go back through the network I get an "unable

to connect".

Thanks for all the help! image

We'll look at ultraedit.com.