RobotStudio event

Modules Program Flow

Options
Hi All, 

I am newish to Rapid and ABB robots although I have some prior experience on different platforms

What I am looking to find out is Modules and their relationship in the program flow.

I get that its better to break up the code into smaller modules that can also be reused later.

What I don't understand is how the different modules are read by Rapid. I come from a PLC background and would be inclined to to thing the modules are read from top to bottom sequentially. 

I know this is rpob not the case.

what I would like to know is how there are called in relation to the main program module or Are do they just running in parallel ?

I have read through the programn ABB Rapid flow/stucture manual and it still didn't make it much clearer to me. 

The reason I am asking is because I have an application coming up that requires palletising lots of different size of product. i want to create a function or module that I can just input the data and get the resulting pattern points out from.

If anyone has any recommendations on how to stu this it would also be greatly appreciated 

Comments

• Modules are in essence just a container to hold routine/procedures.

The program flow starts from the top of main routine and works its way down (not every line is executed as logical tests, etc will only execute the relevant parts of the code) until it gets to a  procedure/routine (or function) call.

The program then jumps the relevant procedure/routine (or function) and executes the code there in the same manner - if another procedure call is not executed within this procedure/routine the program will return to the calling procedure/routine and execute the line below the procedure call. The called procedure/routine can be in the same or a different module.

Hope this helps.