RobotStudio event

Arbitrary Geometric Objects

Hi,
My program, I am working on, visualizes several steel panels in OpenGL, computes possible seams between the panels and the user can choose, which seams should be welded. I want to make a collision check with Robot Studio, so I have written a Robot Studio Plugin which communicates with my program and recieves the geometry information of my panels.
The problem is, that afaik I cannot create arbitrary geometric objects. I need to create prisms (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prism_(geometry)) with an arbitrary base polygon (even non-convex polygons).
The work-around, I am using at the moment, is to export my prisms into VRML files as "IndexedFaceSets" and importing these files into Robot Studio. The problem is, that if the base polygon is non-convex it is not tesselated correctly. Is there a better method for importing this geometry into Robot Studio?

Greetings
Thomas

Comments

• Hi Thomas,

Since an IndexedFaceSet already consists of triangles, it isn't tesselated by RobotStudio. So if there's a problem with tesselation it is not in RS image (You should be able to verify that by opening the VRML file in another viewer.)

Another possible solution would be to create the complex geometry as a set of surfaces (Body.CreateSurfacePolygon, Body.CreateSurfaceRectangle). Collision detection should work just as well, since it doesn't really care if objects are solids or not.

regards,
    Johannes

Johannes Weiman2006-4-21 18:52:55
    Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    ABB Robotics