RobotStudio event

Conversion from RW5 to RW6?

Options
Is there any guide for converting from a RW5 controller to a RW6 controller? Mainly the fieldbus setup is way different. I'm getting errors trying to setup Ethernet/IP in Robot Studio 6/RW6. In RW5 you just needed to setup a bus, now that is gone but there is an Ethernet/IP device & an Ethernet/IP internal device but no explanation of the difference. Is there any walk-through guide to setup communications? It should not be this difficult ABB. Also the sync between the real controller and robot studio does not transfer the configuration, why not?

Comments

• graafderk
    graafderk
    edited August 2015
    Options
    RobotStudio 6.0 and above do offer a migration tool under the 'Add-Ins' tab, although I'm not sure how useful the result is. Besides the configuration documentation found under File -> Help, there is additional documentation available on a documentation DVD, which includes application manuals with examples for all fieldbus options. Contact your ABB representative for information on this DVD.
  • DaveX
    Options
    So you are not aware of anything that details the differences? I think I got the Ethernet/IP working for now by mostly trial and error.
  • graafderk
    Options
    From said documentation DVD:
    "When the robot system is installed with the EtherNet/IP Scanner/Adapter option, a predefined internal adapter device with the name EN_Internal_Device is created at system startup. This internal device is used to define the internal adapter device in the IRC5 controller, which will enable a PLC to connect to the IRC5 controller. There can be only one internal adapter device defined in the IRC5 controller."

I have never used Ethernet/IP myself, but I would guess that the idea is similar to how it is done with PROFINET. You either have an external master/controller (for instance a PLC) to which the ABB controller will present itself as a slave/device, as if it were an I/O module or the ABB controller acts as master/controller which connects to external (I/O) modules. In the first case you set up the ABB controller as 'EN_Internal_Device', in the second case you setup the ABB controller as master (I think it is called Scanner in Ethernet/IP jargon) and add the available external I/O modules as EN_Device.

Have a look at the 'System parameters' help file listed under File -> Help in RobotStudio. It does list the Device and Internal Device types in the chapter 'Topic I/O System'