RobotStudio event

Change Service Port in IRC5

Options

Hi,

I need to change the IP address of the service port in a IRC5 controller.

Does anyone know how to do that via the flex pendant or RobotStudio Online?

Thanks.

Comments

• RussD
    Options

You cannot change it.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to change it? Because the port includes a simple DHCP server, it should only be used for connecting a PC directly to the controller, not for accessing the robot over a network.

As long as you configure your PC to use DHCP, it's unclear why it matters.

Russell Drown
  • niklai
    Options

Ok, maybe I don't use the network correctly.

Actually, I'm on a local network on wich a PC, the robot controller and another device's controller are plugged. The sub-net is 192.168.0 while the sub-net in the robot controller (service port) is 192.168.125

So, I want the PC to be able to communicate with both controllers over an Ethernet Switch. As I cannot change the IP address of my other device's controller (which is 192.168.0.10), I wanted to modify the IP address of the robot controller to, say, 192.168.0.5. I've changed the LAN setting, but I'm still not able to ping the robot controller over my PC network connection which is 192.168.0.1.

Thanks for your help!

• RussD
    Options
    Do you have the PC Interface controller option installed in your robot system? That is what is required to use the robot LAN port in the way you describe.
    Russell Drown
  • niklai
    Options

Hum.. I don't think that interface is installed on my robot controller.

How can I verify that?

Thanks!

• RussD
    Options

To look at your current system, from the ABB menu select System Info>System Properties>Control Module>Options and then look in the list for 616-1 PC Interface.

You can also look at the key used to build the system in the RSO System Builder by typing the keystring into the "Controller Key" field and looking at all of the available options it contains. There is also a printout that is included amongst the robot controller that describes its RobotWare option configuration.

Russell Drown
  • niklai
    Options

Ok thanks a lot.

I'll look for that.

• Hi,
    I actually have the same/similar question...I do have the PC Interface option installed and I would like to access the robot controller over a network. For example, I'd like to hook up the robot to a network with other computers, etc. and be able to access it from anywhere in the office with a connection to the network.
    How do I proceed?
    Thanks!

mrshael2008-2-26 17:32:1
  • RussD
    Options

You need to X-Start your robot, then from the Boot Application select Settings and then choose to use DHCP to have the robot acquire an IP address automatically from a DHCP Server on your network, or choose to assign a static IP address.

You may need to work with your network admin. to determine what an appropriate static IP address and the subnet and gateway settings should be.

Once you have entered your settings, press OK twice, then press Select System to pick your system, then press OK and then press Restart Controller. On restart, the robot will attempt to use whatever settings you just entered, and you should be able to find it once it has restarted using the RSO Add Controller... functionality.

Warning: make sure that you are connecting the LAN port and not the service port to your network. The service port also acts as a DHCP server, so if you connect it to your corporate LAN, it may start serving up IP addresses to other computers on your network, which will make IT people go crazy.

Russell Drown
  • Hey Russell - I am extremely (!) grateful for your help. Thanks!!
  • Okay - I've hooked the controller up to the network via the LAN port and am able to ping the controller!
    Now - I've written a program that performs socket messaging tasks, and it used to work when I was hooked up to the service port directly and it isn't working now...I cant seem to connect to the server (controller). I imagine there are a billion possibilities of what this might be...but can i ask - The IT guy helped me set up a static IP for the controller - does the client (PC) have to have the exact same Subnet Mask as the Server (controller)? Or are there any network related settings that I need?

Thanks!

• RussD
    Options

If you can ping the LAN port of the controller from your PC, it sounds like your subnet masking would be OK. Can you see or connect to the controller from RobotStudio Online over the network?

Have you tried a different port #? Maybe the port you are using is blocked by a firewall or otherwise closed off by your network.

Russell Drown
  • I tried connecting the controller through RSO, but I could only do so with my pc connected to the service port directly. i went to 'add controllers' and then added one with the controller's new static IP address. It seemed to go okay, then i unplugged the ethernet cable from my computer and i couldn't wireless-ly see any new controllers in RSO...so i went to 'add controller' again and it said i have already have added that controller.
    then, if i start RSO without the ethernet cable hooked up, i can't see the 'new' controller in RSO. so to make a long story short, my answer is no :)

I have not tried a different port - that is a good point. I will try that as well. Right now I have been using 1025 simply because it is the first one after 1-1024 which are occupied by the system.

• Be sure that your IP adress is in the same range as the robot is. Otherwise you will not find it.image
  • Okay - thanks - that might also be an issue. I am not an expert with networking - would it be possible to explain what you mean by 'same range'?
    Thanks!!

• I'm not a network wizard, but my findings are ->

The robot subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. (not changeable)

That meens that if the robot adress is 192.168.125.1

Your PC adress should be 192.168.125.x

The robot "can't" be found if one of the first three doesn't match.

• I see...
    I might be mistaken but I think I can actually change the subnet mask of the controller if I x-start it. Do the PC and the robot have to be on the same subnet as well?

• RussD
    Options

It is preferable to have the robot on the same subnet because the NetScan and Communications services used by RSO and other applications do not automatically search and connect to robots across other subnets.

For example, if your PC is addressed as 192.168.100.x and your robot is addressed 192.168.150.x, Netscan will not locate your robot when you browse for it the first time, or if you already have added the controller to a Robot view then restarted the PC, communications will not be automatically re-established upon startup.

What you can do in this case is statically add the ip address to a configuration file called controllerid.xml that will force remote controllers to reconnect on startup.

Look in the folder C:Program FilesCommon FilesABB Industrial ITRobotics ITRobAPI for the two xml template files that you can use to configure communications behavior. They are well documented about how to use them, for your case you would probably need to use only controllerid.xml.

Russell Drown
  • What about you guys!

I seek to do something similar but remotely, outside the local network. Is it possible to do something like that? At least for monitoring with the online application "RobotStudio Online Manage". Will the authorization of some controller option or something similar be necessary? I also read that with the purchase, you can enable something called "Connected Services WiFi" but I do not know clearly what it is for, how it is acquired and how it is used.

I will be attentive to your comments ... Best regards!