RobotStudio event

parameter modification of Inverted robots

Options

Hello,

Do we need to modify parameters for Inverted robots in RS?
I have just turned robots and not modified any parameters so far.
I think floor and inverted robots have the same performance in cycle time.
I'd appreciate your infomation.

Yu

Comments

• Henrik Berlin
    Options

Hi,

Other than the baseframe there are no other parameters. The exception to this rule are the 6620 and 6640 that have the "gravity-beta" angle that must be defined in the motion configuration parameters.

Floor and inverted robots have similar cycle time, although not exactly the same.

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Yu I
    Options

Hi Henrik,

I didn't know the "gravity-beta" angle. Is there any reference for that? I don't know how to define.

Do you mean motion parameters would be modified for other robots when I change the baseframe parameter?   I have to know exact cycle time of inverted robots.

Yu

• Henrik Berlin
    Options

Hi Yu,
    Look at the information below regarding gravity beta that is taken from the product documentation.
    From the IRB6620 Product Manual:
    2.3.7. Suspended mounting

General

Initially the system is configured for mounting on the floor, without leaning. The method for
    mounting the robot in a suspended position is basically the same as for floor mounting.

NOTE!

With suspended installation, make sure that the gantry or corresponding structure is rigid
    enough to prevent unacceptable vibrations and deflections, so that optimum performance can
    be achieved.

System parameters

If the robot is mounted at any other angle, the system parameter "gravity beta" must be
    updated. Gravity beta specifies the robot's mounting angle expressed in radians.

NOTE!

It is very important to configure gravity beta correctly so that the robot system can control the
    movements in the best possible way. Incorrect definition of mounting angle (gravity beta) will
    result in:

Overloading the mechanical structure.
    Lower path performance and path accuracy.
    Some functions will not work properly: e.g Load Identification & Collision detection.
    Mounting angles and values

The parameter "gravity beta" specifies the robot's mounting angle in radians. It is calculated
    in the following way for a mounting angle of 15?.
    Gravity beta = 15? x 3.141593/180 = 0.261799 radians.

Example of position Mounting angle Gravity Beta

Floor (A) 0? 0.000000 (Default)
    Tilted (B) 15? 0.261799
    Suspended (C) 180? 3.141593

From the System Parameter Reference Manual:
    6.30.9. Gravity Beta

Parent

Gravity Beta
    belongs to the type Robot, in the topic Motion.
    Cfg name

gravity_beta

Description

Gravity Beta
    defines the orientation of gravity with respect to the base frame.
    Usage

The beta gravity is a positive rotation direction around the y-axis in the base frame. The value
    is set in radians.

Allowed values

A value between -6.283186 and 6.283186 radians.
    Default value is 0.
    Henrik Berlin2008-8-7 17:58:32
    Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Henrik Berlin
    Options
    The cycle time is not affected by the baseframe, but the Inverted models are optimized for mounting up-side-down.
    Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Yu I
    Options

Hi Henrik,

I don't get what you mean. Do you mean inverted models like 140 and 2400 are optimized automatically when those are inverted?

Yu

• Henrik Berlin
    Options

Hi Yu,

What I mean is that the control system has a dynamic model of the robot. The gravity influences the dynamics of the robot and is included in the dynamic model of the robot. When the robot is mounted upside down, the gravity points in the opposite direction (from the robot point of view). This is taken into account in the dynamic model of the Inverted variants.

Some robot models (6620 & 6640) also support mounting with an angle or on the wall, then this is configured in the control system with the gravity alpha and beta angles.

If there is a discrepancy between the dynamic model and the real world the robot may behave differently than expected. This will be the case if an Inverted robot is mounted on the floor, if a standard robot is mounted up-side-down or a 6620 is mounted on a wall without defining the gravity-beta angle.

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Jetman
    Options

Yu,

in order words yes. You do have to set the Beta gravity to 3.14 (Rad) it's 180 degres if you are using a robot upside Down. Even if it's a IRB140.

If you don't ,youll endup with motion supervision errors and routine like LoadIdentify won't give you accurate values.

It's not in the manuals though.

Sorry it took so long, I was playing with that with an inverted IRB140 recently and had a couple chats with ABB support. Modifying Beta gravity fixed our problem.

Jet
    Jet,
    Janin Delorme, Ing. (P.Eng)
  • kschmid
    kschmid
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Is Gravity beta a parameter in station setup in robotstudio as well?