RobotStudio event

Best Practice ABB.Robotics.Controllers.PC as dependency

Options
Hello,
I wanted to hear what the best practice is in-regards to dealing with the  ABB.Robotics.Controllers.PC.dll as dependency.

I'm working on a project which I would like to open source on GitHub where I'm relying on the ABB.Robotics.Controllers.PC.dll to establish a connection with the robot controller.
So far I have RobotStudio installed on my own machine and am referencing the .dll in the install folder. What I'm wondering is if I'm allowed to include the .dll in the repository since I can't see it listed under the files allowed to be redistributed.

Having to reference it from a local folder would really put a damper on my goal of setting the project up as a continues integration pipeline. Although ideally I would prefer ABB hosting the files on NuGet allowing for the necessary packages to be pulled at build time.

Comments

• Hello Mephisto,

Interesting question!

I'll investigate and get back to you.

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • Mephisto
    Options
    Hey Maxim,

that would be awesome, thanks.
  • Mephisto
    Options
    Hello @Maxim Riabichev ,
    I just wanted to check in and see if there had been any development on the case.
  • Hello,

Unfortunately no news yet.

As soon as I get the information I'll post it here.

Maxim Riabichev
  • Just an update; I am still investigating this issue. Will get back to you asap.

Maxim Riabichev
  • Mephisto
    Options
  • Hello @Mephisto,

Thank you for your patience. I now have an answer for you.

In the release notes you can find this information: 

You are allowed to redistribute, via Github or by other means, all of the redistributable files mentioned above.

The ABB.Robotics.Controllers.PC.dll is part of ABBRobApiCommon.msm merge module.

As to your second question/comment: "
    Although ideally I would prefer ABB hosting the files on NuGet allowing for the necessary packages to be pulled at build time."
    I've forwarded the request to R&D and they agree that that would be very useful indeed. They haven't, however, said when/if this would be made possible. I will try to push for this to become a reality in the future.

Maxim Riabichev
  • Mephisto
    Options
    Hi @Maxim Riabichev
    Thanks for clarifying this. Including the library in the repository will work for now and then I'll look forward to R&D publishing the libraries to Nuget hopefully sometime in the future.