RobotStudio event

View tool at target using old tcp

Options

Hello, i seem to be having a bit of trouble setting up my tool frame's, i have 1 tool with 2 tool frames and using RS 5.09.

Visually i can see the toolframes and they are in the right position.
"Jump to target" and "View robot at target" jumps the robot to the
right position. However, when i "View tool at target" it places the
tool at the target using the origin of the Tool geometry, which is undesirable and is resulting in lots of "position errors".

This was my proceedure:
  1. Import Geometry of tool.
  2. Open create tool wizard.
  3. Create tool from imported geometry.
  4. Create 2 place holders for tooldata1 and tooldata2 using zero's for all pos and orient data.
  5. Attach tool to robot.
  6. Modify tooldata1, entered tooldata values from working rapid program.
  7. Modify tooldata2, entered tooldata values from working rapid program.
  8. Finish
What am i doing wrong?
Cole

Cole2007-9-18 2:45:24
"Argon Technology - your industrial robotics and automation partner, helping you build your tomorrow"

Comments

• Anders S
    Options
    Hi Cole,

"View tool at target" use the TCP frames defined in the Create Tool Wizard.

So if "View tool at target" should work correct, you have to define the correct TCP frames in the wizard.

Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • Thanks for the response Anders,

The wizard does not let me enter the orientation of the tool tcp in Quaternions, only Euler angles. Thats why i didnt do it in the first place.

Is there a method of transferring Quaternions to Euler?

"Argon Technology - your industrial robotics and automation partner, helping you build your tomorrow"
  • Henrik Berlin
    Options

Hi Cole,

Yes, there is a way. In the "Modify Tooldata" tool window. press the drop-down arrow of "Rotation rx, ry, rz". Then press the "Quaternion" radio button, see picture below:

Kind regards,

Henrik Berlin2007-9-18 17:25:28
    Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Ok, well that has sorted things out. This is the procedure that i use now:
    1. Import Geometry of tool.
    2. Use "Create tooldata" to transform quaternion orient data to Euler. Write down in notepad.
    3. Create tool from imported geometry.
    4. Enter data for each tcp required for the tool from notepad.
    5. Attach tool to robot.
    6. Finish
    It would be nice for the wizard to be able to enter quaternions or maybe reference tooldata from an imported moduleimage. But i can live with this.

Thanks for the help
    Cole

• Henrik Berlin
    Options

Hi Cole,

The procedure can in fact be streamlined a bit. I have assumed that the tooldata you want to use are defined in RAPID.

1. Sync your tooldata to the RobotStudio station
    2. Copy the tooldata you want to use (copy/paste). This is not to destroy the original program.
    3. Detach your copied tooldata from the robot. This is done by selecting "Modify Tooldata" and change "Robot Holds Tool" from "True" to "False". This operation detaches the tooldata and causes it to be located in relation to the Task Frame, (formerly Controller World).
    4. Ensure that the Task Frame (formerly Controller World) coincides with the Station World. Otherwise the tool will not be correctly created using the "Create Tool" wizard below.
    5. Import your tool geometry
    6. Start the "Create Tool" wizard.
    7. Select the geometry and point out the tooldata using the Target/Frame edit box. Ensure to put the cursor in the edit box first, then click on the tooldata you want to use in the Elemens Browser, see picture below

8. image

9. Finish tool creation save as library
    10. Now you should be ready to attach the tool to your robot, without having to bother about quaternions.

Notepad is not supposed to be a system requirement for running RobotStudio image

I hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Ahh yes, i was trying this method before but without detaching the toold ata from the robot and was getting incorrect tcp referencing. This is the answer i was looking for.

Thankyou