RobotStudio event

ABB robot as both slave station for Siemens PLC and master station for SCA gluing system

Hi, I'm working on a project. We currently use ABB robot and SCA gluing system as slave stations for Siemens PLC through ProfiNet. It works.

But right now, our customer wants to put the SCA under ABB robot as a ProfiNet device, while ABB robot keep under Siemens PLC.

In this change, ABB robot will function both as a controller of SCA and device of PLC. We already have the 888-2 Profinet Controller/Device.

I have questions as bellow:

1. the old configuration use Lan3 inside ABB controller to communicate with Siemens PLC; for the new configuration, do we need to connect the SCA controller directly into ABB controller? Or can we keep the same connection of Lan3 to Siemens PLC?

2. I want to connect to the SCA and set new IP and name. What software can I use to do this?

Comments

• lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    First thing, that is always the best way to set up a robot/sealer operation.  It eliminates the lag time from robot to PLC, and then PLC to sealer unit.

As best as I can remember, if they are on the same Profinet switch, you can use the same port.

You will have to make an IPPNIO.xml file to load in the robot's HOME directory.  The manual should reference which softwares you can do that with.

Now you are really testing my memory, it has been some years since I had to assign IP's and name devices.  I think that I used KW Software, Netnames+.
    Lee Justice
  • DenisFR
    DenisFR ✭✭✭
    Hello,

For me it can be only one ProfiNet master in same network.

You can set IP and names with TIA, even if it is not in your PLC configuration.
  • Thank you, Lee Justice.

I now configure the CSA system into ABB robot. It shows as RT_Migration in the ABB robot. But it can only build the connection when I plug the SCA controller to ABB robot directly with ethernet cable.

When I connect the PLC ethernet cable back to robot (LAN3), SCA is configured to PLC now; in this situation, robot can't build connection with SCA. 

What can be the reason? Or can I connect SCA and robot directly using another robot port? Or as you said robot and SCA should be under the same Profinet switch?

lemster68 said:
    First thing, that is always the best way to set up a robot/sealer operation.  It eliminates the lag time from robot to PLC, and then PLC to sealer unit.

As best as I can remember, if they are on the same Profinet switch, you can use the same port.

You will have to make an IPPNIO.xml file to load in the robot's HOME directory.  The manual should reference which softwares you can do that with.

Now you are really testing my memory, it has been some years since I had to assign IP's and name devices.  I think that I used KW Software, Netnames+.

• lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    Do you have the application manual, Profinet Controller/Device?
    Lee Justice
  • lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    Do you happen to also have the DSQC 688 card installed into the main computer?  Option Profinet Anybus device?
    Lee Justice
  • Newman
    Newman
    edited August 9
    Siemens Proneta software is free and very nice to scan profinet networks and IP addressing.

Also, I did something similar a few years ago:
    https://forums.robotstudio.com/discussion/13280/siemens-s7-1500-profisafe-profinet-tcp-ip-two-controllers-same-switch#latest

I can't remember why but I ended up using the WAN port. Robot was set to same IP address for both controller and device.

Apart from Proneta I used I/O engineering tool in Robotstudio.
    -----------------
    David
    Swedish freelance ABB robot programmer
  • Thx for updating.
  • Status updating: we finished the configuration. Check the YouTube video for the introduction. 

ABB Robot as Controller for the SCA Controller System - ProfiNet - Atlas Copco Gluing - Part 1 (youtube.com)