RobotStudio event

System Input - Interrupt usage

Options

There's something I don't understand about the System Input Interrupt configuration.
It lets you specify the program to run, but doesn't allow that program to be run unless execution has been stopped?

The Interrupt action will be applied only when the program execution is stopped.
Yet the example routine shows using "StopMove\Quick;" and otherwise implies that normally this would run while allowing current motion to continue, unless StopMove is used.

Trying to use the Interrupt System Input during program execution is blocked.
Stopping the execution from the PLC, then running the interrupt program does work, but the robot does not resume the current move by itself.

Yet that is what the manual implies:
To prevent the robot going to this position when the Interrupt routine starts and delay it until after the Interrupt, the following RAPID sequence can be used in the Interrupt routine...

The sequence in the manual shows using StopMove, storing the path and position, then performing your own code or move, and then moving back to the interrupted move position, restoring the path and Starting motion again. 

My question is that why is a StopMove necessary? Execution has to be stopped before the PLC can activate the Interrupt, and then when it does activate the interrupt, the robot does not also resume its previous motion.

Trying to understand the difference between my robot's behavior, and how it is described in the manual.
- Jay

Comments

• lemster68
    Options
    It seems that you are combining two different things: system input and interrupt.  They should be separate as they have different intentions.  A system input like Stop does just that, stops program execution.  An interrupt will not work at this time because the program is not running.  An interrupt will do just that to a program that is running.  
    Lee Justice
  • Jaycephus
    Options
    There is a System Input called Interrupt, which is what I am asking about, and the quotes I provided are from the documentation of "Interrupt"

- Jay
  • lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I did read pretty much the same thing in the manual.  I did not see the "Interrupt" system input in my older documentation.  But I did look in the newest docs and I see it too.  It looks like it will allow you to run a PROC in the same way that Interrupts and TRAP routines have always worked.  I don't know why they chose to do it this way.  
    Lee Justice
  • Micky
    Micky ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello ,
    if you use a system input with the action "Interrupt" you can execute a routine when the program execution is stopped and the robot controller is in auto mode.
    This can e.g. be used to execute a purging routine if the program is stopped.
    If the program is running you can use the default RAPID interrupts.
  • Jari_V
    Options
    A stupid question: in what RW version was this "Interrupt" Action value in System Input first introduced?
    Robotics Engineer, ABB Oy Marine and Ports
  • nomad5t5
    Options
    I have manuals back to RW 5.15 and it is mentioned in there.  I don't recall seeing this functionality in S4C controllers.