RobotStudio event

RobotStudio VR troubleshooting.

Options
I just received a new VR headset a few weeks ago and thought I would share how I recovered from the  VR failed to initialize fault i received and got VR to work in RobotStudio on my laptop. 

First thing first my setup
Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix Scar III
Headset: Oculus Rift S 
The headset is connected to the computer Via 1 USB 3.1 port and 1 USB type C Display-Port using a Display-Port to USB-C adapter.

Inorder to initialize VR in RobotStudio I first connected my headset and started the Oculus app. Once the headset was fully powered up and my home screen had loaded properly I opened robot studio, loaded a station, and in the home tab a new button is available in the Graphics menu that shows a black mask and the word VR underneath. 

Now here is where my first issue arose. When I clicked the VR button a loading screen popped up stating RobotStudio was loading on my headset I let it load for approx 30 minutes before noticing that in the output log an error stating VR failed to initialize: (Unknown) had popped up. 

I called ABB and was told to try uninstalling RobotStudio and reinstalling the latest version.

When I tried loading RobotStudio VR again I was met with the same error but with more information as to the cause. VR failed to initalize: Verify that RobotStudio and VR uses the same display adapter. 

To solve this I right clicked on my desktop and pressed the NVIDIA control panel. Under the 3D settings tab I pressed the manage 3D settings menu on the left hand side. This brought up a menu that allowed me to select a program settings tab where I could find RobotStudio in the drop down menu. Under section 2 you can select the preferred graphics processor for any program. I cycled through the options until I found something that mentioned my NVIDIA card and hit apply (
If selecting your NVIDIA card does not work try selecting any of the other options in the preferred graphics menu).

For good measure I restarted my laptop, opened the Oculus app, opened RobotStudio and pressed the VR button and it loaded perfectly in about a minute or so.

Hopefully this can help someone. 

Comments

• Janier
    Options
    Can you please provide the programs that you changed to your nvidia graphic card? I have the same issue but i not able get past it.
    Thank you.